Murdered Idaho college student Kaylee Goncalves died in the same bed as her best friend, her father says

The grieving father of one of the four murdered University of Idaho students has revealed his daughter died in the same bed as her lifelong best friend.

Steve Goncalves, whose 21-year-old daughter Kaylee Goncalves was stabbed to death on November 13, gave a heartbreaking speech at a vigil for the victims on Wednesday night, saying he was comforted to learn that she was with best friend Madison Mogen was together until the end.

Mr Goncalves recounted how the “absolutely beautiful” young women first met in sixth grade and became inseparable.

“They just found each other, and every day they did homework together, they came to our house together, they shared everything,” he said.

“Then they started looking at colleges, they came here together. They end up living in the same apartment together.

“And they ended up dying together, in the same room, in the same bed.”

Authorities previously announced that two of the victims were found on the third floor and the other two on the second floor of the third floor home.

Latah County Coroner Cathy Mabbutt said the victims were assaulted in their beds and were “probably” asleep when the killer struck – with Mr Goncalves’ comments revealing for the first time that the two best friends were found together .

The devastated father, whose family also considered Mogen a daughter, said that while it “hurts” it was “nice” to know the two were together when they died.

“The beauty of these two always being together is something that will — it comforts us, it lets us know they’ve been with their best friends around the world,” he said.

“It’s like a book, it’s like a terrible chapter, but there’s beauty in it.”

Mr Goncalves vowed to get “justice” to all four victims – Goncalves, Mogen, her flatmate Xana Kernodle and Kernodle’s boyfriend Ethan Chapin.

“We’re gonna get our justice, we’re gonna figure this stuff out. This community deserves it,” he said.

Mogen’s father Ben Mogen also spoke at the vigil and shared his happiest memory with his daughter as they went to a Mac Miller concert together.

“It was the happiest memory we could imagine,” he said, describing his daughter as “smart and fun and beautiful” and “just kind to everyone.”

Chapin’s mother, Stacy Chapin, urged attendees to enjoy the precious time they have with loved ones while vowing to continue “Ethan’s legacy.”

Madison Mogen and Kaylee Goncalves pictured together before her murder


“We are eternally grateful that we spent so much time with him. And I want to remind you that the most important message we have for you and your families is to make sure you spend as much time as possible with these people because time is precious and something you cannot have back,” she said.

The vigil was attended by a huge crowd of students and Moscow residents mourning the first murder the small university town has seen in seven years.

Concerns had been raised in the run-up to the event that the killer or killers could show up at the vigil – as after 18 days of investigation no arrests have been made, no suspects identified and the murder weapon not found.

On Wednesday, investigators sparked confusion over the case when they appeared to retract their claim that one or more of the victims were “targeted” in the brutal attack and accused the local prosecutor of “miscommunication.”

Since the four students were stabbed on November 13, investigators have described the attacks as “targeted.”

They have used the phrase in several press conferences and media interviews, but have declined to reveal what led them to that conclusion or if just one of the victims was the intended target – while the others were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

In the early days of the investigation, Moscow police even went so far as to insist there was “no ongoing threat” to the wider community – despite not having a suspect on their radar.

Three days after the murder, they refuted that claim, admitting that – with the perpetrator still at large – “a threat exists” and urging the public to “stay vigilant”.

Then, in the latest press conference, held last week, Moscow Police Captain Roger Lanier stressed that the victims were being “targeted” and told the public that “you have to trust us on this.”

Steve and Kristi Goncalves at the vigil for their daughter and three friends


This week, Latah County Attorney Bill Thompson made conflicting statements about the nature of the crime.

On Tuesday, he appeared to be withdrawing belief that the killings were targeted, saying that “maybe not the best word.”

On Wednesday, he gave another interview in which he said the “attack was aimed at a specific person.”

Hours later, Moscow police posted a “clarification” on their Facebook page – which only added to the confusion and continued to contradict earlier statements by officers.

In it, police said that “detectives do not currently know whether the home or any occupants were targeted” and said Mr Thompson’s comments were the result of “misunderstandings”.

Officials are hoping the case will finally get a break as the first crime scene lab results come back — more than two weeks after the quadruple murders.

Idaho State Police Communications Director Aaron Snell told Fox News Digital on Wednesday that investigators would receive the results of the forensic tests.

“I know that tests of any kind… some take longer than others. And I also know that there are results that have been returned and that go straight to investigators so that in that way they can help again to paint this picture that we continue to talk about,” he said.

Mr Snell refused to reveal whether DNA not belonging to the four victims or the two surviving housemates had been found at the scene, in the hope that forensics could finally provide some leads to lead police to the killer.

Despite the lack of concrete leads in the case, police are closing the investigation into the three-storey house on King Road where the brutal murder took place.

The four victims were said to have been stabbed to death in their beds with a fixed knife around 3 or 4 a.m. on November 13, police said. There were no signs of sexual assault on any of the victims and the murder weapon was not recovered.

Two of the victims were found on the second floor and two on the third floor of the house.

Kernodle and Chapin were at a sorority party together at Sigma Chi’s house and arrived back at the house around 1:45 am.

Goncalves and Mogen had spent the night at The Corner Club bar in downtown Moscow before stopping at a food truck and then having an unnamed “private party” drive them home.

Investigators previously said the two best friends also got home around 1:45 a.m., but updated the timeline on Sunday to reveal they arrived at the property around 1:56 a.m., citing “digital evidence.”

Two surviving housemates were also out that night and arrived home around 1am, police said. The two women, who lived in rooms on the first floor of the house, are believed to have slept through the brutal killings and were unharmed.

The horrifying crime scene went unnoticed for several hours, and police received a 911 call at 11.58am Sunday, reporting an “unconscious person” in the home.

The other two roommates had first called friends to the house, believing one of the victims on the second floor was unconscious and wouldn’t wake up. When the friends arrived, an emergency call was made from one of the roommates’ phones.

Police arrived at the scene and found the four victims dead with multiple stab wounds.

Investigators have ruled out several people as suspects: the two surviving housemates, the man who was caught on camera with Mogen and Goncalves at a downtown food truck before they drove home on the night of the murders, the person who killed Mogen and Goncalves got a ride home from the food truck, Goncalves’ former longtime boyfriend and the friends who were at the house when the call was made were all ruled out as suspects.

But as officials admit they still have no interesting or suspicious person on their radar, the small college town is plagued by fear.

Police said there had been a surge in 911 calls in the wake of the killings, with frightened local residents reporting multiple sightings of “suspicious individuals” as well as incidents in the city.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *