Another British primary school pupil dies after contracting Strep A

A primary school pupil in Wales has died after contracting Strep A, a week after the death of a six-year-old in England who was infected with the same bacteria.

The pupil’s death in Penarth was confirmed by Victoria Primary School and the Vale of Glamorgan Council on Thursday.

In a joint statement, the school and council said the student “tragically passed away after contracting Strep A”.

They said “it is unlikely that other students will be affected”.

It is feared that lockdown measures enforced during the Covid pandemic have halted the spread of other seasonal diseases and prevented children from being immunized against common infections.

Last week a six-year-old child died after contracting Strep A following an outbreak at Ashford Church of England primary school in Surrey.

Strep A is a common infection that causes strep or tonsillitis, scarlet fever, and in extreme cases, invasive group A streptococcus (iGAS), which can be fatal.

Official statistics from the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) show that for every 100,000 cases of scarlet fever, 3.1 people will develop iGAS.

Data shows that the iGAS rate is higher this year in children between the ages of one and nine than before the pandemic.

“Unlikely other students affected”

The statement from Victoria Primary School and Vale of Glamorgan Council on Thursday read: “Earlier this week it was confirmed that a pupil at Victoria Primary School has tragically passed away after contracting Strep A.

“Both the school and council would like to offer their heartfelt condolences to the family at this incredibly difficult time.

“Staff and pupils are being supported by the council’s team of educational psychologists and information has been shared with parents by Public Health Wales where appropriate.

“It is unlikely that other students will be affected by the disease and severe symptoms are extremely rare.

“Sensible precautions like washing your hands regularly and not attending school when you are ill can reduce the risk of infection.

“If someone who has been in contact with a person with Strep A develops any of the following symptoms: high fever, severe muscle aches, pain in an area of ​​the body, redness at the site of a wound, vomiting or diarrhea, soreness, sore throat or tonsillitis, a mild skin infection such as impetigo or a rash, they should contact their GP immediately.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *