If you are a talented doer, consider starting a business. Many business owners are now successfully selling their handicrafts to consumers in a wide variety of fields. Whether you’re an artist, a jewelry maker, or passionate about starting a pet business, there’s a place for everyone to share their art with the world. We’ll show you how to make and sell items for a profit and how to get started.
What are some of the best ways to start your craft business?
Many platforms have emerged to promote handicrafts in order to make and sell them for profit. Some of the best ways to get started with your own craft business are:
- Sell on Etsy: Etsy is one of the leading platforms for makers and you can start your own Etsy shop.
- Your own website: You can set up a website with your products to make it easier for customers to browse and buy, and to offer affordable shipping options.
- Facebook Marketplace: You can sell items to local customers year-round on Facebook Marketplace and offer shipping options for those who live further afield.
Where to sell your handmade items locally
If you want to sell locally, there are many ways to sell your crafts.
- Craft fairs: There are many local and national craft shows throughout the year, bringing together manufacturers who sell handmade items, especially around the holiday season.
- Craft Shop: Many boutiques and shops are springing up that bring together handcrafted goods for customers to sell items at
- Flea markets: Local markets are always a good option if you want to make money from handicrafts as they attract a wide audience.
Where to sell your homemade crafts online
If you are interested in running your own business and selling crafts online, there are many ways to sell crafts online such as:
- Etsy: Etsy is one of the most popular online marketplaces when you are looking for easy ways to start selling crafts online. You can make extra money and increase sales by offering affordable or free shipping in your Etsy shop.
- Redbubble: For artists looking to expand their product offering, an online marketplace like Redbubble is very useful. Have your art printed on clothing, home decor, gifts and more.
- Craft Blog: You can set up your blog to detail how you make your crafts and create a fan base to sell the items to.
Things to sell online and in the market
Now that we’ve looked at where you can sell crafts, let’s examine crafts that you can make and sell for a profit. There are many craft ideas to get you started, including hot crafts that you can turn into a craft workshop with ease.
1. Handmade jewelry
Starting your own jewelry business is one of the best ways to make some extra cash as it is a hot craft to turn into a business.
- Personalized necklaces and bracelets
- Clay and wood earrings
- Pressed flower earrings
2. Knitted articles
Knitted handmade products are the best-selling handicrafts, especially in winter, such as B. hats or coarse knitted blankets.
3. Hand Stamped Items
Hand stamped items are one of the trending crafts of this year and are steadily gaining popularity.
4. Bath Products
You can make and sell bath products for a profitable craft business at home, including products like:
- bath bombs
- DIY soap crafts
- Gift sets for bath products
5. Homemade jams, jellies or preserves
Foods like homemade jams and jellies are growing in popularity as gift ideas, including things like mix-and-match jelly and marmalade packs available from an Etsy shop.
- Jelly & Jam Pack
- fruit preserves
6. Paper Crafts
Paper crafts are a great idea for a profitable business selling craft items as the materials are easy to work with and offer healthy profit margins for a craft shop.
If you are looking for creative ideas related to home improvement, consider selling ceramic items that can be used in a household or given as gifts.
8. Mason Jar Crafts
Mason jars are easy to find at local craft stores, and there are many ways to customize and decorate them. For example, you can make seasonal holiday glasses for Halloween or Christmas, or create intricate designs to sell at a craft fair or online.
- wall planter
- Fancy lights
- holiday glasses
Another idea for a profitable craft business is to create a wooden decor. You can use woodworking tools to create handcrafted best-sellers in your own home to sell, e.g. B. wooden toys, garden decoration and interior design.
10. Photo Frame
Many craft businesses have switched to items such as picture frames. They are one of the hottest craft ideas to customize. Mosaic frames are easy crafts to sell, and you can create other unique items as DIY projects to sell with simple things like nail polish.
11. Home Decor Crafts
Another easy craft idea is making home accessories. You don’t need too many tools to get started and there are many types of products to offer.
12. Wall Art
Wall art is one of the more profitable craft items, especially if you use platforms like Redbubble to diversify your offering by offering multiple types of wall decor. Profitable wall art ideas include:
- Wall Art Prints:
- Oversized quilt square
- Basket Wall Art
The most profitable crafts for sale
Now that we’ve gone through the different types of crafts you can explore, what brings in the most money? You can craft and sell many things for a profit. So the first step is to find out what you enjoy making the most and how much time it takes to make the items. Both elements will factor into your pricing.
Some of the most profitable craft products to sell include paper crafts, wood decor, jewelry, and pottery. These are usually the handicrafts that sell well all year round. However, if you have a unique design or item that doesn’t necessarily fit into these categories, you can still have your own craft business that increases profits. The more you sell at craft fairs and focus on selling online, the more customers will come to you for in-demand handmade items.
An important aspect to consider when starting your own business is to ensure you have a business license (if required) and all the necessary paperwork that could be required to operate and sell your products.
Where to sell crafts online for free?
There are many platforms that offer you a route to crafts that you can craft and sell for a profit. You can sell online for free on Facebook Marketplace. Most platforms like Etsy only charge for listings and a small commission for each item sold on the site.
Image: Envato Elements